His Royal Highness Prime Minister Prince Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa today issued Edict 27/2019 on establishing and forming the National Committee for the Unified Procurement of Medicines and Medical Supplies.
The edict stipulates that the members of the committee shall include, at least, a doctor and a pharmacist from the following entities:
- Ministry of Health
- Medical Services at the Ministry of Interior.
- The National Health Regulatory Authority (NHRA).
- Bahrain Defence Force Hospital.
- King Hamad University Hospital.
- Health Insurance Fund.
- Bahrain Oncology Centre.
- Shaikh Mohammad bin Khalifa Bin Salman Al Khalifa Cardiac Centre.
- Government hospitals.
- Primary health care centres.
- The competent authority in charge of storing and distributing medicines.
The edict also stipulated that the committee’s chairman and members shall be appointed as per an edict issued by the President of Supreme Council for Health (SCH), based on the nomination of each entity.
The members shall serve a renewable four-year term, and if, for any reason, the post of a member goes vacant, they shall be replaced by a representative of the same entity, who will complete the term of their predecessor.
The SCH’s edict shall also name the rapporteur of the committee.
Edict 32/2011 and any text conflicting with the provisions of Edict 27/2019 will be abrogated.
The SCH President and competent health authorities –each in their capacity- shall implement Edict 27/2019, which takes effect a day after its promulgation in the Official Gazette.